top of page

Car crash FAQ
Iowa and Illinois car accident lawyer Howard Zimmerle answers your questions

What should I do in case I get into a car crash?

If you are involved in a car crash, the first thing you should do is make sure that you and any passengers are not injured. If anyone is injured, call 911 for emergency medical assistance.

If you can do so safely, consider taking pictures of the vehicles and their position. If you talk to witnesses, get their names and contact info, as the police may not talk to everyone. 

If you need medical assistance, do not hesitate to go to the hospital. Soon after you get home, notify your auto insurance company.

The insurance company made an offer. Should I take it?

It's very common for insurance companies to offer a small amount of money in the days immediately after a car accident. Be very, very careful about this, as you may not know how serious your injuries are right away. Generally we don't recommend settling a case while you're still in pain.

Auto insurance companies may also say that they will pay your medical bills, but not be clear about what they are paying, at what rate, and for how long. The devil's in the details.

The one time we recommend settling with the insurance company early is for your car damage.

If an insurance company has made you an offer, call us. We can help steer you in the right direction.

Who pays my medical bills?

This is a surprisingly difficult process sometimes. Medical providers sometimes choose not to bill your health insurance after a car accident. To make matters worse, the at-fault driver's insurance may not pay anything until the entire case is settled. Meanwhile you are getting bills and collection notices.

Zimmerle Law is used to sorting all of this out. Give us a call.

What if the other driver didn't have insurance?

Unfortunately, this happens a lot. We will investigate other potential insurance coverage. 

If the at-fault driver truly does not have insurance (or does not have enough), your own insurance policy might come into play. You may have UM or UIM coverage, also known as uninsured or underinsured motorists coverage. In that case, we can make a claim for your injuries and damages against your own auto insurance policy.

bottom of page